Why be a small group leader?
“Most U.S. teens have a difficult to impossible time explaining what they believe, what it means, and what the implications of their beliefs are for their lives” (Christian Smith). Our Small Group environment is designed to be a safe place for Shelter Rock Students to deepen relationships and grow stronger in their faith through Bible study, conversation, and prayer (Acts 4:42, 46; 2 Timothy 2:15). As part of our team you will help students discover and own their faith.
Your role as a small group leader
- Greet students when they arrive.
- Mingle with students during free time and organized activities.
- Have individual conversations with students as well as small group dialogue.
- Help organize and run games.
- Provide supervision and ensure students are in the right place doing the right thing.
- Assist in clean up.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to gathering to welcome students.
- If group is student-led, connect with the student leaders and quickly discuss and pray for the night.
- Check in with students during the week via text, Facebook, phone, etc.
- Connect with students outside of small group one time during the year. Find out about games/concerts/plays/special events/etc. for each student in small group and find a way to either personally attend or have group member show support.
- Find out students’ birthdays and send a card. (Note: Student Ministries will purchase for you if needed.)
- Know the Student Ministries Purpose Statement.
- Learn students’ names.
- Know what’s happening in Student Ministries by reading weekly leader update and respond to communications.
- Have a positive attitude and have an upbeat and friendly demeanor.
- Attend bi-monthly leader lunches.
- Attend annual leader retreat.
Next steps . . .
Visit a Small Group Gathering and shadow one of our existing Adult Youth Leaders. Review Adult Leader Application Packet and Submit Completed Application. Once accepted onto the team, you will be assigned a veteran Adult Youth Leader to apprentice with for 1 school year.