1. We want to have our child dedicated at Shelter Rock Church. How do we start the process?
We're honored to partner with you from the very beginning of your journey as parents and commit to being a source of encouragement, strength, and resources as you raise your child to have a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ.
The first step in preparing for your baby's dedication is to watch two brief videos from Pastor Leslie. In these videos, you will be given a brief homework assignment to complete. You can access the videos below:
2. What happens on the day of dedication?
At the Dedication Service, parents will be called up to the stage and a designated Pastor will share a brief encouragement. Parents will be presented with questions acknowledging their commitment to raise their child to follow God. The child will then be presented to the Lord through a prayer of dedication.
3. What kind of questions are we asked during the dedication?
As part of our Dedication Service we ask the parents to publicly commit themselves to the following 4 questions:
- Do you acknowledge that God is Lord of all and do you individually dedicate yourself to him as a living sacrifice?
- Do you receive this child as a gift from God, and acknowledge your stewardship over this life, to bring up this child in the discipline and instruction of the Lord?
- Do you fully dedicate this child to the Lord for as long as they shall live and do you announce that this child belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ?
- Will you seek, by the example of your life and the words of your mouth, to show forth an authentic Christian Life and to teach this child the truths of the word of God? And will you seek to lead this child into saving faith and a close relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ?
4. Can my whole family join us on the stage during the dedication?
This is a great family event. We encourage you to invite family and friends to witness the dedication and we will try to accommodate your family's desires.
5. How old can my child be and still be dedicated?
Once again, dedication is a commitment that the parents are making. We encourage parents to dedicate their children as early as possible. However, we would still recommend dedicating children up through elementary school age, if it hasn't been done previously.
6. What Scriptures will help me understand this event?
Luke 2:22 records Jesus' parents dedicating him to the Lord and keeping with the Old Testament law. In 1 Samuel 1:27-28, Samuel's mother, Hannah, rejoiced that he was a gift from the Lord and dedicated him to serve the Lord. Also in Deuteronomy 6:4-9, the people of God are commanded to love God with all their hearts, to follow His commands, and to teach these things to their children.
7. Why don't we baptize infants?
Although the Scriptures do record children being dedicated to the Lord, there is no record of an infant ever being baptized. At Shelter Rock Church, we practice Believer's Baptism. This is done after an individual understand sin and its consequences and places their faith in Jesus payment for those sins and for their salvation. Believer's Baptism is a public testimony of one's faith in Jesus and acceptance of his Lordship.