Why be an Alpha greeter?
When someone comes to Alpha, they are often unfamiliar with church customs, they feel out of place, and they are deciding whether this is a setting to which they want to return. The greeter has the first opportunity to enable someone to feel welcomed and valued.
Your role as an Alpha greeter
- Be friendly, but not in an overbearing way
- Staff the sign-in table at Alpha, giving out name tags and smiles
- Be able to answer basic questions about what happens at Alpha
- It’s helpful if you’re also willing to sit at a table with participants, perhaps in the role of “helper” (though that’s not required)
- Attend an Alpha training session, one evening prior to each semester’s course
- Commit to being present at Alpha for the bulk of 11 weeks
- If at all possible, attend the Alpha Weekend (this is going the extra mile)
Next steps . . .
Notify your lead pastor of your interest in this role. Attend one Alpha session to get a feel for how it works. You will have the joy of seeing people come alive in new ways, as they are introduced to Jesus.